Saturday, April 19, 2008

Electronic Fuse


This circuit is an electronic version of fuse. The electronic fuse cuts off the current (like the ordinary fuse does) and lights up the LED when a certain current level is exceeded. The advantage of this fuse in comparison to a conventional one is that it can be reset and re-used. The electronic fuse can handle a 500mA maximum of current but it can be increased beyond 500mA by changing the value of R1 with the aid of this formula: R1 = 0.4(I), where I = desired maximum current.

Click the image to enlarge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess this is only useful for not-so-big applications (500mA).

Anyway, I think this can be used for microcontroller applications. I do have microcontroller projects plugged in AC power with voltages stepped down to 5V. Sometimes, my current (I) surges up destroying my IC.

jrcanedo said...

You can increase the current capacity of this circuit on your desired value by changing the transistor specs. and resistor R1 = 0.4 x I. However, I tried modifying this circuit by changing the value of R1 in order to achieve 2-Ampere with the same transistor values being used as indicated in the circuit.

Have fun experimenting this circuit for your project.